When Is Emergency Dental Care Necessary?November 9, 2019 12:00 pm |
In this blog post, we provide an overview of situations when you should reach out to our expert team for emergency dental care in Portland, Lake Oswego, or Bellevue.
What Is a Dental Emergency?
These are some common signs that you’re experiencing a dental emergency that requires urgent care:
- Profuse oral bleeding
- Extreme tooth pain
- Broken, chipped, cracked, or knocked-out teeth
- Complications or abnormalities after a dental procedure
- Lost or damaged dental crown or filling
- Broken dentures
- Failed dental implant
How to Handle a Dental Emergency
If you are experiencing a dental issue, don’t panic! Remain calm and contact us right away for an emergency appointment. On the phone, we can also suggest additional steps you can take before you are able to see us.
For example, to reduce any swelling, ice your cheeks in 20 minute increments using a cold compress, bag of frozen peas or corn, or a baggie of ice cubes. If you have a toothache, brush and floss your teeth and rinse with a mixture of warm water and salt. Time is critical for a knocked-out tooth since the tooth must be reattached within the hour. Keep the tooth moist in a glass of milk until you can see us.
Tips to Prevent a Dental Emergency
Fortunately, there are some things you can do to reduce the likelihood of an emergency situation:
- If you play contact sports, always wear a well-fitting mouthguard to protect your teeth from potential impact.
- Those who grind their teeth should wear a custom-fitted nightguard to prevent chips, breaks, and enamel thinning.
- If you’ve recently undergone a dental procedure, such as a tooth extraction, carefully follow our post-treatment instructions to prevent complications.
- Always maintain good oral health habits to promote strong teeth and gums. Brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes each time, floss at least once a day, drink plenty of water, eat a balanced diet, and quit or avoid cigarettes and other tobacco products.
- Keep up with your routine dental checkups. These appointments allow us to identify oral health problems and address them before they worsen into an emergency situation.
Your Emergency Dentist
At Optima Dental Spa, we offer emergency dental services so you can enjoy a pain-free and fully-functional smile in nearly no time. Moreover, we can help you stay relaxed throughout your appointment with our sedation dentistry options and pampering amenities. Emergencies are stressful, but we’re here to help you stay calm. Contact us today!