Fear of the dentist causes nine to fifteen percent of Americans to reschedule, cancel, or completely avoid dental appointments. Some people refer to themselves as a dental coward because their anxiety level is so high. At Optima Dental, we cater to cowards on an individual level so you can relax and have pleasant and productive dental visits.
Dental anxiety is often caused by previous negative experiences. From the time you arrive at our office, we provide an inviting and friendly environment.
- You’ll be invited for an escorted tour of the office so you can become comfortable with your surroundings.
- We reduce some of your anxiety by avoiding long wait times. Although you will promptly be taken to a treatment room, your visit will be relaxed and unhurried.
- We will listen closely to your concerns about your oral health and about dental appointments.
- After we understand what contributes to your anxiety, we will be sensitive to it and will minimize the effects, use alternatives, or when possible, avoid it altogether.
- You’ll never be pressured to accept any treatment.
- Throughout your dental procedure, we will explain what is happening and why, as well as what you can expect.
We offer several amenities to help you relax during dental procedures, including movie glasses, neck pillows, warm blankets, and massaging dental chairs. Our hygienists and dentists have a friendly and calming manner, as confirmed by the comments below from two of our patients:
Optima Dental has been by far the best dental experience I’ve ever had, and I hate going to the dentist. The staff members are very professional and caring and have always made sure I am relaxed and comfortable. – Husam H.
I am terrified of dentists. I didn’t have any pain during the entire procedure and afterward, I felt only a small amount of discomfort. I cannot say enough about the atmosphere and the staff. I would recommend Optima Dental to everyone even if you have to go out of your way to get there. – Maria B.
How Can Sedation Dentistry Help?
Although we provide a relaxing environment and amenities for your comfort, you might need additional help to stay calm and relaxed during your appointment.
We offer three levels of sedation:
- Nitrous oxide – Nitrous oxide is the mildest level of sedation we offer. Just before and throughout your dental procedure, you will breathe in this colorless, odorless gas (also referred to as laughing gas). It will give you a sense of calmness and well-being and help you have a pleasant dental experience.
- Oral conscious sedation – This option provides a moderate level of sedation. The night before your dental appointment, you can take oral, anti-anxiety medication to help you get a good night’s sleep. About an hour before your appointment, you will take the medication to help you arrive calm and relaxed and maintain your relaxed state throughout the appointment. The medication will make you drowsy, but you will still be conscious. A staff member will remain with you throughout your appointment, and during the procedure, your vital signs will be monitored. The sights and sound of the dental procedure won’t disturb your calmness.
- IV sedation – This deep sedation is administered intravenously. Many patients prefer it because it works quickly. If you remember anything about your dental appointment at all, it will be vague.
Visit our sedation dentistry page for more details on how it can help you have a relaxing, productive visit.
An Appointment with a Cater to Cowards Dentist
Your oral health is our priority. And it’s interrelated to your total well-being. Dr. Saleh, Dr. Shaer, and our staff will cater to your unique needs so that every dental visit with us is a positive one. Call us to request an appointment, or complete our online scheduling form.