Are you concerned about dental implant failure? Recent studies show that dental implants have a success rate of 95 percent or greater. That’s comparable to—and in some cases higher than—the success rate of shoulder, hip, or knee replacement surgery. So why the concern?
Are the Concerns Valid?
Concerns about dental implant surgery are valid. As with other types of surgery, even when proper procedures are closely followed, the outcome of dental implant placement isn’t entirely predictable. We are not criticizing any specific dentist, but when the details are compromised, it increases the chance of experiencing problems, including dental implant failure.
It helps to understand the types and causes of dental implant failure, as well as how it can be prevented and corrected. Selecting the right provider is vital for a successful outcome.
Types of Dental Implant Failure
- Nerve impairment – Implants that are mistakenly positioned can cause nerve impairment, including persistent pain, numbness, and tingling.
- Infection – Irritation, inflammation, and persistent infection can occur if improper techniques are used or if implants don’t fit correctly.
- Puncturing orofacial cavities – Improperly placed implants can puncture the sinuses, nose, or mandibular lingual space (lower jawbone/tongue area).
- Loose implants – Implants can loosen if replacement teeth are placed improperly or prematurely, if there is not enough bone structure to support them, or if inferior implant fixtures are used.
Causes of Dental Implant Failure
- Diagnostic shortcuts – A two-dimensional panographic x-ray is insufficient to properly place dental implants. Three-dimensional x-rays will reveal the exact location of nerves and blood vessels in the bone, the nasal structure and other cavities, and whether or not there is adequate bone density to support the implants. Your exposure to radiation is less than three percent of the radiation from a medical CT scan.
- Inadequate medical history – Your medical history must be thoroughly reviewed because certain medical conditions can affect the success of your treatment.
- Incorrect placement – Inadequate diagnostic studies or miscommunication between the restorative dentist and the implant surgeon can cause implants to be incorrectly placed.
- Substandard implant fixtures – There are over two hundred companies that manufacture implant fixtures, but only six of them have published juried research and test results documenting the quality of their fixtures. Cheap fixtures can be one-hundredth the cost of thoroughly tested, high-quality fixtures, and they can result in infection or loose implants.
Preventing and Correcting Dental Implant Failure
We are leading providers of dental implants. After dental school, he received advanced training in implantology, and he regularly participates in continuing education to stay current with advances in the field. His skill and experience have earned him the following credentials:
- Mastership with the International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- Diplomate with the International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- Diplomate with the American Dental Implant Association
He will thoroughly review your medical history, perform quality diagnostic studies, and use implant fixtures of the highest quality. He completes the entire procedure in his office, including planning, implant surgery, and placement of the dental crown. If you have received implants from another dentist that have failed, Our team will determine the cause of failure, expertly remove the implants, and develop a treatment plan to successfully replace them.
We have a personal commitment to provide you with the best care so your treatment with implants will last throughout your life. Our commitment to patient education will help you understand what you can do to promote proper healing of your dental implants and protect your oral health.
We welcome you to request a complimentary consultation with our team to discuss your treatment options. The consultation includes an exam and a CT scan. Call us or schedule an appointment online.