Missing teeth can detract from your smile and your oral health. In Portland, Dr. Saleh and Dr. Shaer use dental implants to protect your oral health and rekindle the personality in your smile. Implants are the most effective and natural-looking way to replace missing teeth.
What Is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is surgically placed in your jawbone. Traditional root forms are made of titanium, but metal-free zirconia implants are also available. A connector is attached to the root form. After a healing period, during which the root form and your jawbone fuse, a custom dental crown will be attached to the connector.
Dental implants are used in the following ways:
- Replace one or more missing teeth
- Support a dental bridge
- Support dentures
Why Are They So Effective?
Implants are biocompatible, so within a few months, your jawbone fuses to them as if they are your natural tooth roots. The bone supports and stabilizes them. What are the advantages?
Advantages of Dental Implants
- Long-lasting – Your jawbone fuses to the implants, so they are more secure and stable than other forms of tooth replacement.
- Natural-looking – When dental crowns, a bridge, or dentures are secured to implants, they look like your own teeth.
- Stimulate and preserve jawbone – They preserve jawbone and stimulate growth so the bone will stay intact to support your facial muscles and prevent sagging. Read our facial collapse page for more information on this condition and how it can be prevented or treated.
- Promote oral health
- They fill the spaces where teeth were missing and prevent nearby teeth from shifting.
- You won’t experience the irritation and discomfort caused by clipping a partial denture onto your natural teeth.
- Implants are the anchor for a dental bridge instead of your natural teeth, so there is no need to shave down the tooth on either side of the missing one to accommodate crowns for the bridge.
- Improper bite and TMJ problems caused by missing teeth can be avoided.
- Stabilize dentures – Your dentures will be stable, and you won’t have to worry about them slipping around or falling out.
Dental Implant Options
- Individual implants – Each missing tooth can be replaced with an implant.
- All-on-4 dental implants – If you have low jawbone density, angled implants are used to support an arch of dentures without the need for bone grafting. Instead of the usual four implants, Dr. Saleh uses six fixtures for added stability, but his fee is the same as the All-on-4 procedure—saving you money. Read more about this procedure on our All-on-4 dental implants page.
- Implant overdentures – Dentures are stabilized with four or more implants. In some cases, bone grafting is required. Read the details on our implant overdentures page.
- Snap-on dentures – Dentures are made to snap onto two dental implants. You can learn more about this option on our snap-on dentures page.
High-Quality Implant Placement
Dr. Saleh has more than 20 years of experience in dental implant placement and restoration. His advanced training in implantology has led to the following achievements:
- Mastership – International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- Diplomate – International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- Diplomate – American Dental Implant Association
From planning to placement and restoration, each phase of the process is completed in our office. This saves you the time and cost of a separate appointment with an oral surgeon for dental implant surgery. Dr. Saleh uses 3D cone-beam imaging and digital planning software to ensure optimal placement of your implants. This advanced technology helps him achieve precision in several ways:
- Determines if there is sufficient bone density to support the implants or if grafting is needed
- Clearly reveals nerves, sinuses, or other structures so they won’t be damaged during surgery
- Ensures a natural look at the gumline
After a healing period, Dr. Saleh or Dr. Shaer will restore your implants with natural-looking crowns. Your implants will look and feel like your own natural teeth.
If you’re interested in the most natural-looking and longest-lasting solution for replacing missing teeth, we offer a complimentary consultation and CT scan. Call us to schedule a consultation, or book an appointment online.